COLLEGE PARK, MD – Maryland completed No. 5 Ohio State in a stunning 3-1 win over the Buckeyes at the XFINITY Center Pavilion.
Led by Sam Csire’s season-high of 22 kills and seven wins as the Terps advanced to 15-14 overall and 6-11 in the Big Ten.
Ohio State, one of the nation’s hottest teams, came into play with just one loss in a tie for first place in the Big Ten and now stands 19-6 overall and 15-2 in conference. The Buckeyes hadn’t lost in nearly two months since falling to No. 3 Nebraska on Sept. 24. It was Maryland’s first win over Ohio State since November 10, 2018, when Maryland won in three sets. The Buckeyes had won six meetings in a row.
SWEEP: No. 4 Louisville avenges its only ACC loss with a sweep over No. 7 Pittsburgh
For the Terps, it was their second win against a ranked team this season as they also won in straight sets in Purdue on Oct. 16 in ranked 9th place. The win over No. 5 Ohio State marked the Terps’ best win since their No. 2 win Wisconsin, 3-2, on Sept. 24, 2021.
The nation’s top blocking team put on a 16-block total show, led by Anastasia Russ’ 10 blocks, one of her highs of the season. Russ also had seven kills.
Sydney Dowler accumulated 39 assists with 15 digs, while Milan Gomillion also had 14 digs.
break down action
- Ohio State won the first set, 25-16, when the Buckeyes hit .333.
- The Terps took control of the second set with an 8-0 run to win the set 25-15, taking 10 of the last 11 points of the set from a 15-14 deficit. Rick’s kill ended the set in authority. Maryland hit .324 in the set as Dowler racked up 13 assists in the set.
- In the third set, the Terps took a 2-1 lead and won the set 25-18. The Terps won six of the last seven points, including the last four of the set, to conquer them. Once again, a kill from Ricks sealed the set. That came after a clutch ace from Erin Morrisey. The Terps had 16 digs in the set.
- Maryland and Ohio State battled in the fourth set, but the Terps were able to withstand pressure from the Buckeyes late as Csire continued her powerful show.
BRACKETOLOGY: The 2022 DI women’s volleyball bracket is predicted less than two weeks after selection
Numbers to get to know
- 2: Maryland has two wins against ranked teams this season and also beats the No. 9 Purdue on the road.
- 5: By beating the no. 5 Buckeyes, the Terps have earned their win over a ranked team since finishing No. 5 last season. 2 defeated Wisconsin.
- 6: The Terps ended a six-match losing streak in the series with Ohio State.
- 10: Anastasia Russ’s 10 total blocks marked her second double-digit blocks this season as she had 11 against Nebraska.
- 14: The Terps ended Ohio State’s 14-match winning streak with the win.
- 19: Sydney Dowler had his 19th match with 30 or more assists in a match, recording 36.
- 22: Sam Csire had a season-high 22 kills, down five from her career-high 26 last year at Temple. It was her third career match with 20+ kills.