Ohio Men’s Basketball falls to 20th in OT from Michigan

FOLLOW OHIO MEN’S BASKETBALL: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram


– 2.1 seconds to go and Ohio two back, graduate student ahead Dwight Wilson III (Tallahassee, Fla.) tied the game at 63-63 when time ran out. However, the Ohio men’s basketball team (1-3) failed to get past 20th— Ranked Michigan (4-1) in overtime Sunday night (Nov. 20) and fell 70-66 at the Crisler Center.

“We’re really proud of our boys,” said the head coach Jeff Boals said. “After losing Detroit, they came back and had a really good few days of practice. They reacted, came out and started from the start and I thought we deserved the win. But give Michigan credit, they made the games in the first half and overtime to win it. But our guys fought and controlled most of the game. And we just fell short.”

As a team, Ohio shot 35 percent from field, 25 percent from three, and 5 of 11 from the line, while Michigan shot 38 percent from field, 31 percent from three, and 12 from 20 from the line. Ohio passed Michigan, 49-46 and threw up 14 assists on their 12, Ohio also grabbed six steals and forced 11 turnovers while Michigan had three steals and forced eight turnovers.

Individually, Ohio was led by Wilson III with 21 points, who went from the field on 10 of 19 and grabbed nine rebounds, followed by Junior Guard Jaylin Hunter (Manchester, Connecticut) with 14 points, six rebounds and five assists. Senior Miles Brown (Rochester, NY) added 11 points, nine rebounds and four assists. senior forward Ben Roderick (Powell, Ohio) added six points while senior guard DeVon Baker (Dayton, Ohio) scored five points and had five rebounds. Sophomore forward AJ Clayton (Roseville, Ohio) snagged seven rebounds.

Michigan won the pick and got on the board first with one layup, but the Bobcats quickly took the lead on two layups from Hunter. After Michigan regained the lead, a steal and jumper by Baker and another layup by Wilson III gave Ohio an 8-5 lead and forced the Wolverines to call a 15-12 timeout in the first half. After the timeout, a three by Brown and another jumper by Baker put the Bobcats to seven. After a Michigan three-pointer, Brown matched with his score of the game and helped put Ohio 16-11 ahead with 11-47 remaining at the half.

After the timeout, Michigan cut Ohio’s lead to two before a layup by Wilson III brought Ohio back to four. After another jumper from Michigan, a three from Hunter gave the Bobcats a 21-16 lead with 7:25 left in the first half. Shortly after the timeout, another three from Brown brought the Bobcats back to eight before Michigan leveled them with a jumper. Seconds later, Hunter deflated a three himself, giving Ohio a nine-point lead. Then the Wolverines blew a three-pointer of their own, cutting Ohio’s lead to 27-21, leaving 3:33 in the first half. After the time-out, Michigan went on a 7-0 run for a 30-30 tie with 30 seconds left. After Baker grabbed a free throw three seconds from time, Michigan hit a three on the buzzer to put a 33-31 lead at the half.

At halftime, Ohio shot 36 percent from field, 38 percent from three and 2 of 5 from the line, while Michigan shot 44 percent from field, 33 percent from 3 and 6 of 8 from the line. Ohio passed the Wolverines 19-17 while Ohio gave out seven assists and had four steals to Michigan’s six assists and two steals.

Leading the Bobcats at halftime was Hunter with 12 points, five rebounds and two assists, followed by Brown with nine points and four rebounds. Baker added five points and three assists.

A layup by Wilson III to open the second half tied the game at 33-33. After both teams traded baskets, Michigan went on a 6-0 run and took a six-point lead before a layup by Hunter reduced the deficit to four before the first media timeout. With Michigan down to six, a jumper from Hunter and consecutive threes from Roderick erased Michigan’s lead, putting Ohio at 47-45 and forcing Michigan to call a time-out, leaving 12-14 in the game.

After the timeout, Michigan tied the game 47-47, but the Bobcats then went on a 6-0 run to take a 53-47 lead with 10-03 to go. Then youth center Gabe Wiznitzer (Walhalla, SC) and the Wolverines traded baskets, cutting Ohio’s lead to 55-50 with 7:48 remaining. After two free throws from Wiznitzer, Ohio again put Ohio ahead seven points, five straight points from Michigan cut Ohio’s lead to two with 5:20 left, forcing Ohio to burn a time-out. After the timeout, the Bobcats regrouped, with Wilson III taking Ohio’s next four points and leading Ohio 61-55 into the final media timeout.

After a three-pointer cut the lead to two, the Wolverines’ layup tied the game 61-61, giving Ohio the ball with a minute remaining. After both teams made defensive stops, Ohio shot in the last three and was called for a foul for the rebound, sending Michigan onto the line with 2.1 seconds left. After the Wolverines both hit to give a two-point lead, Hunter heaved the ball across the court and allowed Wilson III to hit the putback basket when time was up to put the game 63-63 into overtime to send.

Michigan took the first five points of overtime to take a 68-63 lead before a jumper and free throw from Wilson III cut the lead to two with a minute left. However, Michigan hit his free throws on the stretch and sealed the 70-66 victory for the Wolverines.

For Michigan, Hunter Dickinson led with 24 points and 12 rebounds, followed by Jett Howard with 13 points.

Next, the Bobcats will have a few days off on Thanksgiving before returning to Athens on November 25-27 for the Bobcat Battle. Ohio opens the game Friday, November 25 against Eastern Illinois at 2 p.m. at the Convocation Center.

#OUoh yes