Ohio woman faked daughter’s terminal illness and sentenced her

CANTON, OH (WJW) — A Canton woman accused of faking her daughter’s terminal illness and covering thousands of dollars from the community was sentenced to jail Thursday.

Lindsey Abbuhl was sentenced to four to six years in prison and ordered to pay $8,529.90 in compensation to the theft victims. She pleaded guilty to child endangerment and theft.

Authorities say the mother faked the girl’s illness and even tricked her into believing she didn’t have much longer to live.

She raised money by gambling with the sympathy of friends, local residents and even local college sports teams, investigators say.

“Her doctors were concerned that the sport was a little too physical for her with her medical condition,” Abbuhl said in a February 2021 interview.

At the time, Abbuhl said her daughter’s dream of becoming a college and professional softball player would never come true because she died of a terminal illness.

“So last year we had to make the difficult decision that she can go away and not play anymore,” she said during the interview.

***The video above is from a previous report***

Abbuhl rallied sympathy and donations, claiming her daughter’s central nervous system was failing and her brain was slowly shutting down.

However, according to court documents filed in May 2021 by the Stark County Department of Work and Family, the agency received information that the mother had used the unsupported medical diagnosis “to obtain travel, housing and other recent expenses.” several years.”

“After a thorough review of the girl’s medical records … the doctor advises that there is no evidence to support the mother’s claim that (the girl) is terminally ill,” the court documents said.

The complaint went on to say the girl had “acted in counseling for the past three years to learn how to come to terms with her own death.”

Earlier this year, the Malone University softball team learned of the girl’s alleged condition and shared her story across the country. They invited her to throw the first pitch in a scrimmage against Walsh University.

A GoFundMe page for the girl raised more than $4,000.

At that time, the girl was taken away from her mother and taken into temporary care by the Stark District Office for Work and Family.

“Essentially, this objection was a way of bringing closure to the various parties involved in this case,” Stark County Attorney Kyle said. L. Stein on Thursday. “It was also the best way to avoid the possibility of further traumatizing a child who has already been through so much.”